Thursday, April 14, 2022

Home Page


Ten years ago, I started this site as a repository for writings, mostly about the work of my ensemble Sō Percussion. I wanted to document So's work, and also continue a writing habit that I've kept going since grad school.

In that time, I've posted about 35 writings here. 
 
I can be reached at adam@sopercussion.com.

NEWS 

October, 2022

I have started a newsletter on Substack. You can check it out HERE

April, 2021

I have written another chapter for the Cambridge University Press. This time, it is in the "Cambridge Companion to Rhythm." My article examines how composers from Messiaen to Reich to Wolfe have conceptualized the role of rhythm in their music and society. 

Cambridge Companion to Rhythm on Amazon

OTHER LINKS

Sō Percussion
The "bitKlavier," a digital instrument invented by Dan Trueman.
My first solo album, the "Nostalgic Synchronic" etudes for bitKlavier by Trueman.

Other than on this site, I have writings in a few other places:

- I contributed a chapter to the Cambridge Companion to Percussion on Cambridge University Press. I write about percussion as a chamber music medium, going back to John Cage as a bridge between old and new.

- For Sō Percussion's production "A Gun Show," I contributed an essay to The Log Journal, and also wrote a book with Lynne DeSilva Johnson, published on The Operating System.

In 2014, I was invited to contribute 4 essays to newmusicbox.org.
  • In The Mutual Benefit Balance, I describe some of the pragmatic considerations composers and performers can observe when searching for satisfying collaborations.
  • Making New (New) Music is about the process that generates great work. The bond of trust between composer and performer(s) is essential, because sometimes radical ideas and crazy left turns produce the best work.
  • An Expanding Paradigm chronicles an ensemble’s growth, from rigidly defined restrictions – which are often necessary to hash out an early identity – to a wide-open vision of what’s possible. It also tackles the thorny issue of cultural appropriation in music.
  • Sometimes Music encourages us to always leave room for surprise. We should never be so attached to a style, aesthetic, or school that we leave our ears deadened to what marvelous music may be out there.

My bio on the So Percussion website

No comments: